Well, the fixed asset is “fixed” neither in the sense that (a) it was broken and is now repaired nor (b) it is “fixed” in the sense that it is attached to something else and immovable.
Rather it is a
“long-term tangible piece of property that a firm owns and uses in the production of its income and is not expected to be consumed or converted into cash any sooner than at least one year’s time.”
Managing fixed assets includes auditing them – ensuring that the assets are still within the scope of the property of the enterprise. Additionally, there needs to be a process whereby individuals or departments can “check-out” an asset … or “check-in” the asset when it is no longer needed. According to wikipedia, the most common functions for fixed asset management software include:
- Asset tracking software allows companies to
- track what assets it owns,
- where each is located,
- who has it,
- when it was checked out,
- when it is due for return,
- when it is scheduled for maintenance, and
- the cost and depreciation of each asset.
- The reporting option that is built into most asset tracking solutions provides pre-built reports, including
- assets by category and department,
- net book value of assets,
- assets past due,
- audit history, and
The fixed asset suite of tools available in xTuple’s app store provide an excellent baseline of fixed asset management capabilities. But the assets are dispersed … how can they be managed effectively?
By bringing the ERP to the asset …
Always hoping to make great things better, we decided to incorporate a mobilization of fixed asset management into the latest release of iTuple – Version 2.1. If you already have iTuple then you get this version as a free upgrade.
Free is good, right?
If you don’t have iTuple already then it is a mere $14.99 on the Apple app store. “Cheap as free” as Strongbad would say …
Now, to be able to use the fixed asset management part of iTuple you will need two things:
- From the xTuple app store, at least the basic fixed asset package: Fixed Assets. We suggest that you go for the gold and purchase the awesome Fixed Asset Management (bundle)!
- Also from the xTuple app store, purchase the mobility package: Fixed Asset Mobility. Note that Fixed Asset Mobility is not included with the Fixed Asset Management (bundle) mentioned above.
Combining the Fixed Asset Mobility package with iTuple and your already-existing xTuple baseline and you have a complete mobile solution … well, almost complete … what about the barcode thing?
The Fixed Asset Mobility package includes a facility for creating barcoded labels for your fixed assets … or you can purchase specially made labels (e.g. they are destroyed int he process of attempted removal) from vendors. Either way, use the Fixed Asset Mobility package to assign the labels to the assets.
But what is the use of a barcoded label if you have to type in the number? Well, not much. That is why Paladin Logic offers the Linea-Pro barcode scanner that will turn your iPod Touch 4 or iPhone 4 with iTuple into the complete mobile fixed asset management tool.
Paladin Logic, Limited, headquartered in Irving, Texas, in the heart of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, is a verified Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) engaged in research and software development for government and industry. Founded on a very simple principle: Paladin hires great people, makes them owners, and not even the sky will be a limit. Paladin is an xTuple Elite Partner.